Wild Wild World of Animals - Roxborough Edition

One thing I like about living where we do is we get to see lots of wildlife. The other day I caught a picture of our friend the fox taking a nap in our backyard:



For some reason foxes love this spot in our backyard for napping in the afternoon and I have lots of boring video of foxes napping to prove it. I can't tell for sure if it's always the same fox, but I don't think it is.

One day one of the foxes had a dead prairie dog in its mouth and it brought it into our backyard to enjoy its lunch. Well, I didn't want to have prairie dog pieces scattered around our yard so I opened the back door to try to scare it away. It did run away but it left the gross prairie dog! Yuck! Luckily it did come back for it though.

Our neighborhood also has deer, tons of bunnies, prairie dogs, salamanders, frogs and coyotes. There are lots of big horn sheep that live up in the canyon not too far away. Dave and I are also fairly sure we've seen some bear scat scattered around the neighborhood - especially near the grocery store.

Here's the not so nice side of the wildlife here:



We have these giant sized wolf spiders that end up in our house and garage at times. They're not really dangerous but they are very, very creepy. Notice in the picture that you can see its eyes shining and the other normal sized dead spider next to it (victim of the bigger spider?). That was behind my desk. Lovely. Try to ignore the dust bunnies. The cable is a network cable and that's one of those little bouncy balls for scale comparison. This was actually a mid-sized version of those giant wolf spiders. We had one in our living room which I would say was twice the size of this one. Not exaggerating.

I have seen this in real life on the way home from school.



A bunch of kids had turned over a rock and found one of these monster spiders with egg sac attached and they had coaxed it out of its burrow and somehow got it into a water bottle. The kid said he was going to bring it home to show his mother. What a lucky mom!

Now I think if I ever see one at this condition in or around our house I might never recover:

  1. gravatar

    # by maria - August 24, 2009 at 3:57 PM

    I'm horrified!! You have those in your house??? Time to call Orkin. Guess I can't really complain about the spiders in our house-- they're just regular size.

  2. gravatar

    # by Steph - August 29, 2009 at 10:00 PM

    I cannot believe that those monsters live in your house! That one with the shining eyes is going to be in my nightmares! Good luck, and I agree with Maria, time to invest in pest control!

  3. gravatar

    # by Anonymous - August 31, 2009 at 7:43 AM

    Yikes! I am pretty sure I would be having lots of nightmares about spiders. I freak out about the little ones. I think I would pass out if I ever found one of those with all the babies attached. Ugh!
    Kathrine